jenniarndt

Alluring Reads

Glimpse

The Glimpse - Claire Merle You can read all of my reviews at Alluring Reads.Dystopia: A futuristic, imagined universe in which oppressive societal control and the illusion of a perfect society are maintained through corporate, bureaucratic, technological, moral, or totalitarian control. Dystopias, through an exaggerated worst-case scenario, make a criticism about a current trend, societal norm, or political system. -Definition from www.readwritethink.orgI'm not certain that I understand all the contempt going around regarding this novel. Yes, it refers to people with mental illnesses as "Crazies" and yes, that is not very nice. But this book is a work of fiction, not only that, it is a work of DYSTOPIAN fiction. I went into The Glimpse expecting a story about a futuristic society that is regulated by a system created by scientists to weed out people who have the potential to become mentally ill. I also went into The Glimpse expecting our MC and her friends to find a hole in the system and attempt to flip it over on its head, and that's exactly what I got.The thing I love about dystopians is when we get to watch our characters question everything around them. They don't just follow blindly like sheep, and it almost always (in my experience) makes for an engrossing read. Ariana Barber was an interesting MC, she was definitely strong willed and she had an immense amount of perseverance. Though I do feel she was quite quick to believe what other people told her, she always ended up making up her own conclusions and followed her decisions through with an admirable amount of conviction. She had a lot of people in her life that have lied to her and the reader gets to watch her come out of her shell and question the very foundation on which she was raised.There were a few parts of the story that I rolled my eyes at for example when the whole boat is watching Ana's missing persons report on TV and no one turned around and realised "hey! that's her, she's standing right beside us!" I mean she had her hair pulled up in a hat, it wasn't exactly an elaborate disguise! Also the random POV switching felt very weird to me, like 30 of the 33 chapters are all from Ana's perspective but there are about 3 random chapters throughout that all of a sudden switch to someone else. For me, if you are going to have split POV's there has to be a sort of pattern or consistency, not just strewn amuck.Overall this was an enjoyable read for me and the ending makes me hope that there will be another book in the series. Everything is wrapped up pretty nicely at the end, but we do get one last act of defiance out of Ariana that sets up for a possible sequel. I recommend The Glimpse to anyone looking for a good dystopian read.