jenniarndt

Alluring Reads

Things I Can't Forget

Things I Can't Forget - Miranda Kenneally Over my time as a blogger I have become a huge fan of Miranda Kenneally’s work. Her stories are sweet, they’re romantic, and she always manages to weave athleticism into them without making them feel like “sports” stories. Things I Can’t Forget became one that I was highly anticipating but I was pretty nervous about it because I was forewarned that it dealt with some hot button issues of mine. Touching quite a bit on religion and abortion, this novel took me by surprise as it was a pretty rough start but as the story wore on I got the Kenneally Feeling and was hooked!A running theme in this Hundred Oaks series is that the characters overlap; we catch glimpses of characters from the other books. In this one we are Kate Kelly who is a member of Parker’s church. It’s the summer after high school and Kate takes a job working at the bible camp that she frequented as a child. Who else works there? Parker and Will! I was so excited to see that we would be getting a lot of those characters in this one. Parker became a pretty steady character in the story and her storyline of being outcasted by her church became pretty important to Kate’s progression as a character. Jordan and Sam do make their appearances, which was awesome, though they are not a prevalent part of the story.Kate Kelly started off as someone that I really hated. I despised her judgmental ways and there were many instances where I found myself actually growling out loud at her. She has very strict religious beliefs and at the beginning of the story she tries to impose those beliefs on everyone around her, refusing to even have anyone in her life who doesn’t hold the same ones. I was so mad at her in the beginning and pretty frustrated with how often religion was finding it’s way into the tale but I took a step back and told myself that I was obviously going to go on a journey with Kate and I wanted to see exactly how she changed throughout. In the end, she didn’t exactly come full circle, but as she opened her mind and started accepting people’s faults I really connected with her. She had been raised in a community where everyone held the same beliefs and did what God thought was right, so I can understand why she was the way that she was in the beginning. Watching her come out of her shell and broaden her horizons was pretty amazing and I appreciated who she became and the steps on the road to get there.Of course there is romance in this tale and I think Matt may have taken over as my favorite love interest in the series. He was funny, he was quirky, he was confident and he was sweet. He wasn’t perfect and he struggled with decisions and accepting people but he was so kind through everything. I loved all the sweet things he did to be closer to Kate, he knew that he was going to have to be pretty patient with her and he accepted it because he knew she was worth it. It was a really sweet love story, that was slow and pitch perfect for the story.While this one did delve more heavily into religion I did find that the journey Kate went on far outweighed those elements that I didn’t like. This is a sweet story that, I think, fits into the series perfectly. Once again Miranda has weaved in all the beloved characters we could want and written a story that will frustrate you and give you fluttering butterflies in your tummy. If you are a fan of the series you should definitely read this one and if you haven’t started the series yet, hurry up!An Advanced Reader's Copy was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.--You can read all of my reviews at Alluring Reads.