jenniarndt

Alluring Reads

Send - Patty Blount You can read all of my reviews at Alluring Reads.A copy was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.I was so excited to take part in this tour, as soon as I read the blurb for Send I knew it was one that I had to read as soon as possible. As a girl who has cyber bullying as a very prevalent memory from her high school years, I knew it was a story that I would be able to connect to on a very personal level. In Send we meet Dan who has relocated with his family and changed his name to escape his past in which he was a bully who has served his time. We follow him as he plants roots in a new city with a brand new, made up name and tries to forget who he was and finally escape the consequences of his actions. Dan, our fantastic male protagonist, is a shell of a boy. He has been through so much and one bad choice has changed his life drastically. I really wanted to give him a hug throughout. He had come to hate who he was and he was so determined that he needed to suffer at every possible opportunity. Dan becomes a hero of sorts for a boy being bullied at his school, Brandon, and does everything he can to help him through a tough time. The fluidity with which the growth of Dan is written and the fall into darkness that Brandon goes on is amazing. I felt both of the progressions were conveyed in a very realistic way and the events that lead to them well thought out. There is, of course, a love story here but it takes a back seat and it is also well paced and has its own hint of mystery. Julie was a character that I had a really hard time reading throughout, at times I thought she was a fun, outgoing character but she would turn off at the snap of a finger. All of these elements and the realistic approach Blount takes to an issue that is at the forefront of our society makes this an important story. There is so much going on in this tale and it all weaves together in an intricate way to make a truly memorable read. Send tackles a tough issue in a touching way and I definitely recommend giving it a read.