jenniarndt

Alluring Reads

Fairy Metal Thunder (Songs of Magic, #1)

Fairy Metal Thunder (Songs of Magic, #1) - J.L. Bryan You can read all of my reviews at Alluring ReadsI won this book in a flash giveaway on Xpresso Reads and started it immediately. I didn't read the synopsis, I did not pass go, I did not collect $200, and am I ever happy I jumped into it blind. I admit, if I read the synopsis, I probably wouldn't have picked it up, thinking the fantastical aspect would be a bit too much for me but boy was I ever pleasantly surprised with Fairy Metal Thunder! This book reminded me so much of my favourite movie as a kid, Labyrinth, with it's well created Faerie world and the amazing creatures lurking the land. I love the imagination that went into writing this novel, J.L. Bryan has constructed a tale that sucks you in and makes you long to uncover an Otherworld amongst the trees in your very own backyard. The characters we meet in Fairy Metal Thunder are about as vast and varied as they come. Jason was a believable teenage boy who was awkward and perpetually nervous. One thing I really appreciated was our love interest being a green haired punk who stood out rather than the usual supermodel types, or the bland normal girls who have become the staple since Bella Swan. Erin was unique, had her own style, and seemed as though she was a girl who knows what she wants. My favourite characters were actually Jasons parents, their banter and old school way of thinking was all too real and had me laughing out loud as they argued with their son about the permanency of things on the internet. The creatures of the Otherworld were spot on! Grizlemor was AWESOME, from his stinky feet to his strong taste for unappealing foods, he was the perfect goblin and there was no arguing with that. I'm left so curious about so many parts of the Otherworld; I long for more about Queen Mab, more about this violent & dark side of the fairies that is hinted at so much, and dying to find out more about the magical instruments and how the land feeds off of energy. I also can't wait to learn more about the creepy guardian of the gate Mrs. Dullahan, I think her story is an interesting one!This is a well crafted book that is just the start of a very promising series. I can't wait to dig into book 2 and find out more about this unique story. I will definitely be recommending Fairy Metal Thunder to anyone looking for an Alluring Read.