jenniarndt

Alluring Reads

Sweet Evil

Sweet Evil - You can read all of my reviews at Alluring Reads.Actual rating is 4.5, rounding up because there is way more good than bad!"You're a walking contradiction. Horns and a halo. I don't believe it"I had been pining for Sweet Evil for quite some time now. I have been intrigued by the cover and after reading the premise I knew it was something that I would love. I was not wrong! I loved this book. It made me laugh out loud, it had some epic squee moments and just the perfect amount of darkness. This book had me excited and I literally could not tear my eyes away from it. Anyone who knows me, knows that I am early to bed, well Sweet Evil kept me turning the pages until 2 AM! That is unheard of!The characters Wendy Higgins has welded are awesome! Anna Whitt is a down-home Southern good girl whose innocent naivety had me loving her from page 1. Anna was a little over the top good, but that was the point of this book, she had angel in her for cripe's sake! Though she was inherently good she was willing to look past the faults of others and she didn't feel judgy to me at all, which is something I had worried about starting out. What really endeared me to Anna was that little voice inside her head that was constantly calling her out on her erratic behaviour, it had me LOLing and just overall enjoying her character."I eyed all the teensy skirts and fashionable shirts dangling on mannequins. I tried to imagine Kaiden's reaction if I came dressed like that to one of his shows, some guy other than Jay on my arm. Ugly stalker thoughts. I was full of them" Where do I even start with Kaiden? He was just so hott! Yes, he was a cocky jerk who knew he could get anyone he wanted in bed, but the glimpses of humility that were splashed throughout, and his obvious love for Anna had me dying to see these two together. I mean Kaiden is the son of the Duke of Lust, he knows all the moves and he's even in a band, what doesn't he have going for him? There were scenes that had me wanting to punch him in the nuts (what guy doesn't make me feel that way sometimes?) but overall he gave me the warm and fuzzies inside (me thinks I have a new book boyfriend!) The one aspect that kind of turned me off a bit with Sweet Evil was the odd almost love triangle thrown in at the tail end. Kopano felt really weird to me and I honestly didn't like his character at all. I couldn't understand why Anna was feeling the way she was for him, and it left a bad taste in my mouth. That little tidbit felt really unnecessary to me and took away a bit from the epic romance of it all.There is definitely a strong religious aspect to this one, but it was kept so interesting. I'm not usually one for religion strewn upon the pages but Wendy created a very interesting story that felt really dark and intriguing. I didn't find myself rolling my eyes at all the heavenly gaga and I was actually really interested in finding out about the war, the dukes and all that jazz.This was definitely one of my favourite reads this year and I am dying to see where the story goes in the next book. If you're looking for a good romance and paranormalcy you should definitely give this one a go, it is an Alluring Read that will keep you hungrily turning the pages. I want to give it a 5 so bad, but the addition of Kopano at the end took away from it a bit for me.