jenniarndt

Alluring Reads

Sofia the First

Sofia the First - Catherine Hapka, Grace Lee You can read all of my reviews at Alluring Reads.Sofia The First was a book that was quickly grabbed by my daughter on one of our trips to chapters. She was quickly taken with the sparkles and the super cute princess on the cover. There was no way I could say no so we came home and read it. In the end this was a cute story, but I think it had a lot of missed potential.Sofia is a regular girl whose mother recently married a king. Becoming a princess is wreaking havoc on Sofia’s nerves as she struggles to fit into the role and live up to her new step sister, Amber. Sofia looks for help along the way and gets it from the sorcerer of the castle (who is really no help at all) and the one and only Cinderella teaches her a bit about dealing with unruly stepsisters. I had expected a cute story about Sofia shaking things up in the palace and making the royals realize they didn’t need to be so stuffy all the time. But what we got was Sofia’s struggle to fit in and the lessons that make her perfect, and then she ended up being just that. My daughter did let out a few chuckles throughout and really enjoyed the wonderful illustrations but I would have liked to see Sofia being accepted for who she was, rather than becoming the perfect princess.While I was disappointed in the direction Sofia’s growth took, I did enjoy her coming together with Amber and them working together to find a solution. This is a cute story with no real lesson to be had. It definitely has cute drawings, but don’t look for anything too deep in this one.