jenniarndt

Alluring Reads

The Man in the Moon (The Guardians of Childhood)

The Man in the Moon (Guardians of Childhood) - William Joyce The Man in the Moon is the first book in The Guardians of Childhood series and tells a beautiful story that is sad at times and incredibly beautiful in its entirety. I always find Joyce's books to have the most stunning imagery and I love the out of this world tone of the illustrations in this one. This is the tale of how a little boy, a child aboard the ship the Moon Clipper surrounded by family and friends, became the Man in the Moon (MiM) and gathered up all the Guardians of Childhood.This tale starts off perfectly happy but once Pitch, the King of Nightmares, finds out that this boy has never had a nightmare he vows to make the boy his own and deem him the Prince of Nightmares. In the outcome of the battle the boy is left alone on the moon to be raised by the Moonbots, Moonmice and giant Glowworms who were also left behind. As he grows, he discovers the planet Earth through his father's telescope & realises that there are children on the far away planet that are much like him. As the children's lost balloons float up to him he finds that he can hear their hopes and dreams if he held them to his ear.Once MiM sets about his mission of making the children of Earth happy I got really lost in the story. The tale brings together Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy and many other familiar childhood figures. It even tells how MiM set about lighting up the moon so the children of Earth never had to be afraid of the night again. My children absolutely loved the appearance of all the figures and it definitely got them asking questions about each of them. We all hope that there will be a book for each Guardian and will be anxiously awaiting the arrival of more books!You can read all of my reviews at Alluring Reads.