jenniarndt

Alluring Reads

The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore

The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore - William Joyce, Joe Bluhm The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morries Lessmore caught my eye at the book store because of it's wonderful drawings. It boasts on the cover that it is "the story that inspired the Academy Award-winning short film" having never heard of the short, I was definitely intrigued to take this little story in. What I got was an uplifting tale about the power of the written word that shines through with stunning imagery.After a an upset in Morris's life, in the form of a devastating storm, he is lost and depressed, constantly looking down. When he looks up he sees an uplifting site in the form of a woman drifting through the sky, pulled by her favourite books. She drops a book down to Morris and the book leads him to a magical place full of novels where Morris begins to piece himself (and his books) back together again.This is a touching tale about how much a good book can do for someone. My children loved the illustrations and immediately wanted to go to "the place with all the flying books." This is one that we will be reading over and over again because I think it captures the allure of reading, and how good it can be for a person perfectly. No matter how old a person grows and what may come in their life, a good bookshelf of books can always make you feel young again, such a great message.You can read more of my reviews at Alluring Reads.