jenniarndt

Alluring Reads

Entice (Embrace)

Entice (The Violet Eden Chapters, # 2) - Jessica Shirvington You can read all of my reviews at Alluring Reads.I read Jessica Shirvington's Embrace about a week ago and was so happy to have waited this long to read it because I had Entice sitting on my shelf just waiting for me to grab it and pick up where the action left off. And does it ever, the second instalment in The Violet Eden Chapters is chalk full of hot romance and intense action at a pitch perfect pace. Not only is this novel graced with perfect timing, but it also stands out for the unique angel lore that is beautifully interspersed in the pages. We definitely got our fair share of action in the previous novel in the series but in this follow up we get to see Vi once she has embraced and is officially an active Grigori. I love Vi's determination and her independence, it really shines through in this novel (even though it gets her into trouble a few times as well.) While she does come across as pretty thick headed at times, she is easily relateable in her constant rollercoaster of emotions. Always there to stir up her emotions is her Grigori partner, Lincoln. Let me just say that Linc is as swoon-worthy as ever, if not even more-so in this one. I love him so much! His constant need to protect Vi but also his ability to step back when he needs to is spot on for a love interest. I love how he is always there for her but fully prepared to let her deal with things on her own if she asks, and she definitely has a lot to deal with as the plot unfolds.The novel starts off with a bang and there is constantly a mission, filled with action, and new threads to the story being excellently weaved into the plot. We have the grigori and the exiles in a race to be the first to discover the ancient scriptures mentioned at the tail end of Embrace and the path to discovery is filled with forks in the road. Between Onyx feeding them tiny hints of information and a traitor in their midst the grigori have a lot of hurdles to jump over to get to the truth. Also, Violet's past is coming back to haunt her in the form of Phoenix who is back once again and it leading the exiles in their hunt. I had worried that with the return of Phoenix we would have to suffer through the return of the love triangle, but that wasn't the case at all. The romance is definitely hot and heavy between Vi and Linc and while there is memories of her feelings for Phoenix, it is left at just that, memories. The unique take on angel lore really comes into play in the romance aspect of the novel as we meet Nyla and Rudyard who are grigori partners but are also together in a romantic way as well. But grigori partners can't be together in that way, right? Well a whole new world is opened up here and I loved watching it unfold.This series is full of likeable characters and action to keep you flipping the pages. Upon finishing up Entice I realized that my love for angel books must be officially solidified. When action, fantastic characters and a unique take on the subject are all present there is a story that I am easily lost in. Those are elements that are strong and at the forefront of Shirvington's novels so I highly recommend them to anyone looking for a good read.