jenniarndt

Alluring Reads

Death and the Girl Next Door

Death and the Girl Next Door - Darynda Jones You can read all of my reviews at Alluring Reads.Having never read Darynda Jones' Charley Davidson series, I was more than a little eager to get my hands on her first foray into the YA world. When Death and the Girl Next Door was announced I was so excited and when the cover was revealed I was ecstatic. How do I feel after having read it? I feel very "meh" about the whole experience. That's really the only word I can think of. The story is anything but original and it delves into religion a little too much for my taste. It's saving grace is the witty banter between the MC and her friends, but even that started to wear on me near the end.I don't really want to delve too deeply into the mechanics that make up this story, I think the truth behind what the characters are is supposed to be a mystery, though it really is easy to piece together in the first few chapters. Lorelei and her two best friends are who this tale revolves around and in the beginning their constant sarcasm and teasing was endearing and I found myself giggling on more than one occasion. Though as the story wore on it was a bit too much, I mean it didn't even let up in the most serious of breaking and entering or death defying situations! Her friend Brooklyn was a sassy little minx and I liked how she held her own. Then there was the aptly named Glitch, aptly named because glitch's are annoying , right? This guy grated on my nerves in the worst possible way. I think he was supposed to have a crush on Brooke but he was such a wiener about it and never acted on anything.There's really nothing new to be read within these pages. We have the plain Jane who thinks constantly about how she is a plain Jane. She runs into Mr. Hotty and is taken aback by his utter gorgeousness only to find out the very next day that *gasp* Mr. Hotty is a new student at school. And guess what? Mr. Hotty only has eyes for her! Drama ensues and as Lor falls for him he tells her how bad he is for her and how being around him is a danger to her life yada yada yada. I really wish I had more positive things to say about this book. I did read it in two sittings, over two days, that's good, right? If you're looking for a typical YA novel with the dreaded Twilight formula, this one is for you. But if you are looking for something mind-blowing and original, I would definitely say to look elsewhere.A copy was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.