jenniarndt

Alluring Reads

Intangible (Intangible, #1)

Intangible - J. Meyers You can read all of my reviews at Alluring Reads.I can see why a lot of people would enjoy Intangible, it's heavy on the fantasy and there is a fair amount of action. Unfortunately it just didn't work for me. I didn't believe the characters so I didn't find myself actually caring about any of the predicaments they found themselves in. It was an OK reading experience and the mystery had me somewhat interested but I found myself looking at the page number quite often.The twins, Luke and Sera were people that I thought I was going to really enjoy, but as the story wore on they felt very animated to me, and almost too perfect. Sure Sera made some bad choices but it felt forced to me, as if maybe it was just thrown in there in an attempt to make her a bit more relateable. The relationship between the two of them was enjoyable, their witty banter warranted a few laughs out of me. The most likeable character to me was Marc, he was tortured and torn and the parts with him kept me turning the pages. I guess I was rooting for him, he was sent on a terrible mission to save his own life and was faced with some pretty tough choices. There were a lot of fantastical people living in this town, doing their bidding out in public. I sometimes questioned how it was possible for no one to notice what was going on right under their noses but that was the least of my worries. What bothered me immensely was the fact that Luke and Sera were so OK just living in the dark. There were so many strange occurrences around them and they just went on living obliviously! I would have been questioning the crap out of Fey after the first run-in with Jonas. There was also an unnecessary amount of detail which left me feeling like there was way too much telling and not enough showing. At one point even the support beams on the ceiling are described in detail and at another we are treated to a mini yoga instructional. I think it could have been a much shorter, more engrossing book had some of the filler been removed.This book will definitely appeal to fans of fantasy looking for a light read. This wasn't one that I particularly enjoyed, and I probably won't be looking for the sequel.