jenniarndt

Alluring Reads

The Peculiars

The Peculiars - Maureen Doyle McQuerry You can read all of my reviews at Alluring ReadsThis book had everything that I look for in a good book. It had mystery, it had a great adventure and it had awesome characters. I really enjoyed the story of this book, I did, but that being said I had such a hard time getting into it because of the writing. I also feel I should note that it felt very slow, although that could have been due to my inability to get into the flow of the writing. I'm not a huge fan of books written in the 3rd person and this one was also written in old speak (takes place in 1888). The thing that kept me going on this one was the mysterious land of Scree. I had to know what awaited in that peculiar place, otherwise I would have put this book down in the first 50 pages. I was also drawn to out MC Lena. She had a longing about her, she had so many questions and she was willing to go to any length (and sometimes make terrible decisions with horrific consequences) to get her answers. I connected with her sense of displacement, she didn't feel that she belonged anywhere, she wasn't quite normal but she wasn't quite peculiar either. Jimson was also a great character, I loved his zest for life and he was a nice contrast, at times, to the serious undertones of the story. The character I loved the most was Mr. Beasley, he had such a great heart! The mystery that surrounded him for most of the novel was just as intriguing as the mystery surrounding the land of Scree.I would definitely reccomend this book due to it's great story, but definitely warn of the style of writing and how it was difficult for me to adjust too.