jenniarndt

Alluring Reads

The Catastrophic History of You and Me

The Catastrophic History of You and Me - Jess Rothenberg You can read all of my reviews at Alluring ReadsBrie Eagan is a 15 year old girl who literally died of heartbreak. She had it all; good friends, a great boyfriend, a strong family and a bright future with a possible diving career. It all ended on the night of October 4th with 4 simple words "I don't love you." In The Catastrophic History of You and Me we follow a young girl as she faces the afterlife and deals with the 5 stages of grief. This was a very fulfilling read, it made me sad, it made me laugh and it made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. It had the perfect balance of humour, heartbreak and good ol' teen angst. The realisations Brie is faced with as she haunts the people she was closest to, are pretty heavy. They shake the foundation of her once perfect life. I really enjoyed the characters of this book, Brie is a lovable young girl who is honest and quirky. Patrick (her partner in crime in the afterlife) was adorable, the humour he brought to the story added the perfect amount of comic relief. One thing that was extra special about this book were the chapter titles. They were all song lyrics! I found myself singing a new song at the beginning of each chapter "excuse me while I kiss the sky", "you ain't nothin but a hound dog", "nothing compares 2 u" and "1,2,3,4 tell me that you love me more" just to name a few. All in all this is a great book that I will definitely be recommending to anyone looking for an Alluring Read.