jenniarndt

Alluring Reads

The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden Series #1)

The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden Series #1) - You can read all of my reviews at Alluring Reads.A copy was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.This was a tough one for me. There were parts of The Immortal Rules that I loved, but there was so much filler in between. I'm all for filler, I know that it needs to be there, a story can't be all action all the time. But there was just so much walking! All the elements of a really great story are there, I just felt that this one could have been a lot shorter. I won't deny that it is a good novel, I just have issue with the length. I put it down and read something else 3 times before I made it to the end.The characters of The Immortal Rules are what really stuck out to me. I loved that Julie Kagawa gave us vampires that make us cringe and scared to go to the bathroom at night, the rabids were all kinds of creepy awesomeness. Allison was a seriously kick-ass girl, she had her head on her shoulders and she was completely independent. The visuals of her wielding her katana and cutting through hoards of rabids were absolutely stunning. Her love interest Zeke was also interesting to me, his inner struggle with his teachings versus what he came to find in the real world was an engrossing journey. There are numerous supporting characters that are nicely developed and that I connected to as the story went on as well.When the pace picks up in The Immortal Rules it delivers with a bang! But then they walk, and walk, and walk. Then it picks up and you get sucked back in and Allison kicks butt, and rabids attack and it's awesome! And then they walk.... and you check what page your on... and they walk... and you check the page number again... then you wonder how in the world they can still be walking...This is not just another vampire book, it gives vampires some new, fresh twists that leaves me wanting more. Though I have my qualms with this one, I will definitely be interested to read the sequel.