jenniarndt

Alluring Reads

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer - Lish McBride You can read all of my reviews at Alluring Reads.Actual rating: 3.5After reading Helen Keeble's Fang Girl, I realized that paranormal and comedy was the perfect combination for me so when I came across Hold Me Closer, Necromancer, I was all over it. Lish McBride put together a great paranormal story that is unique and downright hilarious. There is a bit of everything in this novel; we have vampires, werewolves, fey and zombies to name a few. People may assume from the title that this novel would be dripping with zombies, it's not, as a matter of fact they are few and far between. I do think that the next book in this series will be fantastic as this one didn't fully pick up until the second half, and it definitely left me wanting more, a lot more.Sam and his friends were hilarious, they were your general slackers, and the pointless things they did while working at Plumpy's totally brought me back to my days of working at McDonalds."Frank was younger than me, and he still had a little enthusiasm for his work. Brooke, Ramone, and I had started a pool on how long it would take for this place to suck the life out of him. If he cracked next week, I got ten bucks. Brooke had this week and she was doing her best to get Frank to crack early."These conversations always happened when I was working fast food, and we were always forcing the newbie's to do the crap jobs. Despite their teasing of Frank he was really a part of the group and they all had a great relationship. I liked Brooke a lot, she looked like your typical bimbo cheerleader but she could keep up with the boys and she had a wicked sense of humor. The tone of this book really reminded me on the movie Idle Hands, this group has so much thrown at them and they take it in stride and never lose their sense of humor.At times the writing did feel a little jolty to me, it's a split POV with Sam's being in the first person and everyone else's being in the third so it was a bit hard to adjust as each chapter started. But once I got used to it I definitely did get into the swing of things and the story had a great flow. One part that was really fun were all the names of the chapters, they were all lyrics from awesome songs (Sweet Dreams are Made of This, I Hear You Knockin' But You Can't Come In, & Sweet Child O' Mine just to name a few.) So at the beginning of each chapter I got a new song stuck in my head! Hold Me Closer, Necromancer really hits its stride in the second half once Sam realizes what he is a begins to come into his power, I have very high hopes for the sequel and am very excited to read it.