jenniarndt

Alluring Reads

My Brave Year of Firsts: Tries, Sighs, and High Fives

My Brave Year of Firsts: Tries, Sighs, and High Fives - Jamie Lee Curtis, Laura Cornell I will be the first to admit that what really drew me to picking up this title was when I saw Jamie Lee Curtis's name on it. I have been a fan of hers ever since her early Halloween days & finding out that she was now an author of children's books was a very pleasant surprise. What was even more intriguing was when I flipped through the book and saw that it was about getting back up and dusting yourself off after taking a fall.Having been a mother now for a few years I have seen how disheartening it is for my children to attempt something that they see someone do, not be able to achieve it and then get pretty down on themselves. I'm constantly telling them "practice, practice, practice!" So I thought that this would be the perfect book to introduce into my house and have a great learning experience. It fulfilled that expectation that I had for it and was so much more.Not only is this about retrying things that you have previously not had success with, but it's also about the more simple firsts in life. The first day of school, making your first friends, your first walk around the block with your friend unsupervised (Mommy was totally hiding in the bush on that page) This book is about facing new adventures in life that scare you and being "brave, true and strong." We had many laughs throughout this book and had a good conversation after about all the new things that the character did that my children want to try out in the future. The illustrations were adorable and the message was a great one. This is definitely a great book for kids of all ages as it tackles a plethora of firsts.